Tuesday 11 March 2008

The Update...


I haven't posted since the death of Jon it was a very sad time for me and I wanted to leave his memory as the main headline for a while. Jons funeral was a very sad one but it had a fantastic turn out and it truly showed what a popular guy Jon was he will be terribly missed, God bless you Jon your memory will live on forever.


In January I had a good month and made $20k In february I made $23k so two great months for me. I have been playing professionally 5 months now, March being my 6 month into professional poker and I am really enjoying it I feel that I am improving all the time. I have recently moved on to multi-tabling up to 8 cash tables at a time, before this I only really did 4 maximum it is alot tougher playing this many tables and I've really had to be sharp and energetic at all times, I'm sure it will become easier and more natural through time.


I recently attended the Vic for a tournament with a couple of friends we decided to enter the 300£ freezeout 150 runners 1st prize £17,000 not bad value at all :).


Starting stack 6000 chips so its definately a marathon and not a sprint.... 4th hand In I get pocket Queens blinds 25-50, Im in the small blind there are 2 limpers So i decide to bump it up to 250 total.


They both call flop comes 7s-4c-3d I fire out 600 1st to act 1st guy folds 2nd player flat calls. To be honest I don't particularly like this flop it may be a rainbow but its not that nice especially if someone has limped with a small pocket pair or low suited connectors. Anyway the turn comes Queen of diamonds.. perfect :).. I carry on betting to disguise my hand really no point in checking here I want to build up the pot and if i bet noway he can put me on top set.. So I go ahead and fire 900 into the pot the player pauses for like 10 seconds and then moves allin I'm like Whaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaat! I have to check the board twice 7s-4c-3d-Qd ... Yes I have top set but it's not the nuts I think for a little bit and I say "Theres noway you have 5-6 you wouldn't move allin here u would reel me in, I call!" He takes off his sunglasses and says "do you have queens?" I reply "yeah!" I'm expecting for him to show me pocket 4s here for a lower set but he flips 5 of diamonds... At this point I'm thinking Oh dear, but then flips the 7 of diamonds...


I say "Oh two pair... no a draw?!" So he has a gutshot straight draw 2nd pair which is irrelevant and a flush draw so I'm about 75% favourite to win the hand at this point.. In cash his play is not so bad but in a tournament this is horrible hes risking his tournament life on a draw.


River comes the Ace of Diamonds and gives him his flush and I am out of the tournament, I really have to be honest here I was absolutely devastated, I waited 6 hours to play that tournament to end up going out 1st out of 150 entrants 4th hand, instead of doubling through... not only is it embarrassing because although I did nothing wrong and was seriously unlucky... but it just dents your confidence, I've always hated tournaments but I usually do pretty well in them but I am a cash player through and through. The whole table one by one so "Unlucky!!" whilst I just look at the board in disbelief.


"The guy then says sorry man but I lost 36k online today and am feeling tilty" I had to pause and count to 10 after that comment as my blood just boiled like a kettle, I walked away and my mates who were still in the tournament start saying "Noway not again.. it must of been sick?" They know how I run in tournaments and its not good at all hence why I don't like them.


Anyway I began chatting with Marc Goodwin and Julian Thew (who are both really nice friendly guys) and tell them about my beat I just felt like I needed to say something to someone who would understand. I was seriously in shock, but thats Poker a cruel cruel game at times.

I later played some cash for the rest of the night met up with some friends online who I was really glad I met and I had a great time at the Vic even after my tournament devastation and will definately be popping back soon for another attempt and hopefully next time things will run better for me.


Good Luck






1 comment:

Anonymous said...

hi james,
nice blog...live tournaments are full of disappointment & unfortunately you usually have to endure long stretches like that before the odd final table beckons...very diff to the online scene i'm sure!
hope to cu at one or two in the future, sounds like you can afford the experience lol